Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Exhausted!

Today was great. I went to mass in the morning and was excited that it's St Maximilian Kolbes feast day (he's my confirmation saint and all time favorite saint). Breakfast was great as usual, and after breakfast my roommates and I ended up falling back asleep for a half hour. The heat is so heavy and stifling that sometimes it's hard to stay awake. And then after your nap you wake up in a puddle of your own sweat, so just picture that for a little while and realize how hot it is! After we rested for a bit, we got to go over to one of the houses that they will soon be using as more guest housing, and painted it bright pink. I thought it was cool pink isn't associated with females here at all, males wear it a lot because it's bright and a couple other houses are also painted pink. After painting for a bit I walked over to the girls village and was greeted by babies that wanted to be picked up...all at the same time. At one point I was holding two at once and one was trying to sit on my lap. I'm telling you this is heaven for me!! Then before I knew it the older girls were braiding my hair. I came out with cornrows and I have to say I was feeling pretty confident. I strutted my stuff as I walked out of the village yelling "bonjou!" to all the farmers and painters nearby. They looked at me like I had five heads, but others smiled and waved. I feel very welcomed here especially by the children. We played lacrosse with the boys today and it was GREAT! They loved it , and from my brief experience playing in college I got to teach them some stuff. One little boy kept coming over for my approval, and when he did something right and I congratulated him, he smiled so big I thought his cheeks would fall off. We ended the night with a performance by babtime, a rap group featuring some boys from the village. They're so talented! Also wicked adorable and are pretty good at English! Thank you all for your prayers, we're having a wonderful time. Peace and blessings! 
Tay

No comments:

Post a Comment